IA&A at Hillyer (formerly Hillyer Art Space) is a program of International Arts & Artists (IA&A), a nonprofit arts service organization dedicated to promoting cross-cultural understanding and exposure to the arts internationally. IA&A fulfills its mission by providing programs and services to artists, arts institutions, cultural organizations, and the public. Hillyer supports IA&A's mission through a series of exhibitions and public programs that feature local, regional, and international artists. Hillyer's exhibition series focuses on under-represented artists, both emerging and established, that have not had a major solo exhibition within the last three years.
This is an open call for proposals for solo exhibitions for Hillyer's 2020/2021 season.
Deadline for entries is September 10, 2019 before 4pm.
Notification will be sent to all applicants by December 20, 2019.
About: IA&A at Hillyer (formerly Hillyer Art Space) is a program of International Arts & Artists, a non-profit arts service organization dedicated to increasing cross-cultural understanding and exposure to the arts. We are committed to supporting artists at all stages of their careers.
Selected artists are awarded the following:
- A month long exhibition in one Hillyer’s three gallery rooms.
- Artist honorarium
- Inclusion in annual RISE exhibition, previewing selected artists for 2020/21 season
- Ongoing support from Hillyer staff, including a studio visit and exhibition consultation with Hillyer’s Director, assistance with exhibition installation and deinstallation, review of exhibition materials (artist statement, bio, labels, etc), and marketing and promotion of exhibition.
- Accepted artists also benefit from our Artist Advisory Program, where our highly qualified Artist Advisory Committee works individually with each artist to help them prepare their exhibitions and establish themselves in the DC-arts community.
- Opportunity to give artist talks, lead public programs and workshops, artist interviews featured on blog, in artist spotlight video
- One-year International Arts & Artists membership
Please note that Hillyer is not a commercial establishment and does not sell the artwork on exhibit. Any interested parties will be put directly in contact with the artist. Hillyer does not take a commission on sold works.
Qualifications: Hillyer focuses on under represented artists. We accept proposals from regional artists that live within 150 miles of Washington, DC and have not had a solo exhibition in the last three years in a professional gallery or art space. We also accept work from international artists that are both living and working internationally. Please note that Hillyer does not have funding to pay for artwork shipping or artist travel.
Selection: All proposals that meet the gallery's qualifications are reviewed and selected by our Artist Advisory Committee, which is chaired by Hillyer's Director.
Questions? Contact us at 202.338.0325 or firstname.lastname@example.org